The internet surprised me this month. It’s been 17 years since I first started scouring the web, and I’ve gone through countless phases where I find myself totally done with it. Over it. Find a cave in a mountain and live there without electricity pumping through my walls. But then I Instagrammed hard-core for the entire month of July, and although I’m exhausted and so relieved the month is over, I think I love the internet more.
If you’ve been following along then you know that July was #SCcreatejuly month, where I challenged everyone to make time to create every single day. I went the first 3 weeks Instagramming everything I made, stressing out, trying to get an image posted before morning… before I realized that Instagram wasn’t actually part of the challenge. All I had to do was create, and that was easy. So then I slowed down my Instagramming and had time to breathe again. BUT, during that stressful period of worrying about how many people thought my latest collage was cool, I saw a lot of other people’s work. I got to know what Instagram hashtags linked me to photos that made me feel things (#vscoart, #namaste, #cutandpaste etc). And I would enter these worlds, far away where it was already morning, and see how other people saw the world. And that shit is cool. That’s why the internet is so f-ing cool these days. If you can keep yourself from comparing your life to those of others, then Instagram can be a sick-ass place to gather inspiration and be in awe of the planet we live on (and beyond, @nasa).
Before moving on I want to thank the five ladies who contributed photos to #SCcreatejuly — I loved your representation of the prompts and knowing that you were making cool stuff alongside me. The featured image above is a montage of several #SCcreatejuly posts, and these are the five lovely ladies who joined in: @just_drie @babydel @jacquebblackie @mountainmermaid58 @bandolina_ @roadkyl
Now, moving on, here are some of my favorite links from July.
- Stone Currents has surpassed 200 followers on Bloglovin’ within 2 months of our official launch! We are so excited that our readers are enjoying our posts — we love you!!
- This list of positive podcasts.
- 256-year-old Chinese herbalist says the secret to a long life is to sit like a turtle & sleep like a dog.
- Modcloth featured my outfit on their blog! I loved seeing my outfit posted alongside such inspiring fashionistas.
- Heather posted her modest space on her blog to archive this stage of her life. I really love how raw it is, and unlike most blog posts on interiors. I want to do this sometime this summer with our home.
- Striving versus achieving when you have small children. Can you relate?
- The 10 small differences between ordinary people & successful people.