Many people assume that dressing in vintage is full-on costuming yourself in a specific period. Sometimes that is the case and I personally do love to do that, since I’m a costume-history nerd; to me, it’s magical assembling an outfit from a different time period. However, there are those times when you just want to throw in a little vintage here-and-there, spicing up an ensemble without appearing like you belong in any specific period of time, and finding ways to make your style more unique and defined.
I’ve always been a huge fan of vintage because I adore old things. I love the quality in which things where made back in the day compared to now; most of our fashion, products, cars, household items, and food are all mass-produced and cheaply-made. I find it amazing that I can go into an antique store and find a cardigan that was hand-crafted in the USA with beautiful hand-done beadwork made from fine cashmere with matching silk lining hand-stitched to the inside, all for the same price as a cheaply-fabricated cardigan from a online store. Many people don’t realize that you can find really high quality treasures in Podunk Town antique stores. As a romantic, I also love that these handcrafted treasures have a story and a past that we get to carry on.
With out further adieu, here is how Ursala and I like to incorporate some of our favorite vintage pieces into our style, from wearing just a touch of the past, to having it be the focus of our ensemble. Hopefully it offers up a little inspiration!
- White Buffalo t-shirt from the band themselves
- Thrifted necklace
- Fat decorative belt from L.A.’s fashion district
- Vintage crushed velvet dress from Ghost Rabbits
- Ankle flats by GH Bass & Co.
- Camisole from Ross
- Skirt handmade from previous post DIY Circle Skirt
- Sunglasses from downtown L.A. fashion district
- Vintage necklace and earrings
- Vintage patent leather 60s Mod Fanfanfares pumps are up for sale at Ghost Rabbits
- Vintage mid century patent leather purse
- Vintage 1980s velvet wiggle dress worn twice by Ursala’s mom
- Gold shoes by Pilcro and the Letterpress
- Vintage gold hairclip from my grandmother
- Brass bracelet gifted from Benin
- Vintage leather mid century handbag from Ghost Rabbits
- Beige dress from Wasteland
- Vintage shoes from Ghost Rabbits
- Vintage 70s Wood bead necklace from Ghost Rabbits
- Vintage mid century clip on earrings
- Vintage 1930s sunglasses
- Vintage 80s leather shoulder-capped button-up thrifted
- Hand-me-down J + CO jeans
- Black suede wedge pumps by Cooperative
- Fat red belt thrifted